St. Elmo's Fire
Prospects from Ghosts and Gold


St. Elmo was originally developed in 1878 when gold and silver were discovered. 

The DenverTribune observed at the time, “St. Elmo, a town of less than 6 months, has two sawmills, a smelter and concentrator, 3 hotels, 5 restaurants and several stores.” 

According to Wikipedia, St. Elmo is one of Colorado's best preserved ghost towns. "The town was at its peak in the 1890s, when it included a telegraph office, general store, town hall, 5 hotels, saloons, dancing halls, a newspaper office, and a school house. The Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad line ran through St. Elmo. There were 150 patented mine claims within the area. The Mary Murphy Mine was the largest and most successful mine in the area and recovered over $60,000,000 worth of gold while it was in operation." 

At nearly 10,000 ft, there is not much going on there now except for an eerie presence. According to local legend, Annabelle Stark still keeps a ghostly watch over the town from the the hotel below.

More here

No comments:

Post a Comment